Saturday, March 25, 2017

Tuning Out

I have mentioned a few times in previous posts that I wear hearing aids.  It's uncommon for someone my age to have them, but the fact is that I do.  When I was younger my some of my classmates ridiculed me for it, but it's not something I have to worry about now.

As long as I have them in I can follow a conversation just as well as anyone else.  I can also
read lips pretty well.  It's tiring to do that though.  The only reason I keep that skill handy is in case I'm ever without my hearing aids.  Then, of course, I know American Sign Language... but not everyone does.

Even though I have to deal with the little irritations that come with wearing hearing aids, it's not all that bad.

The fact that I can barely hear without my hearing aids makes it easier for me to tune out.  When things around me are getting too loud, I just turn them down or completely off.  I mean, I can't do that all the time because most of the time I need to be aware of what's going on around me, but if it's too loud in study hall when I'm trying to work on homework or at home when I'm trying to read, it helps to tune out.

Tuning out gives me the silence and rest I sometimes require.  The good thing is that when I need to tune out at home, I can still communicate with my family because we can just sign.  They get that it's hard for me to actively listen or read lips on a consistent basis.

People always tell me they're sorry about my hearing problem, but they don't have to.  I actually feel more sorry for people who aren't hearing impaired.

       ©2017 - Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment