Thursday, December 22, 2016

Coming Out...

No... not that kind of coming out.

I'm coming out as a bookworm.  Or as my sister calls me, a book-dragon.

I've never liked to admit that I like reading.  It was never the 'cool' thing to do growing up unless it was Harry Potter.  Even then, my generation would just rather watch the movies.  So while my brother couldn't care less that people thought he was a nerd or whatever for reading, I waited until I was at home to pull out a book.  The only time I didn't have to hide it in school was when we'd have silent reading time and had to read in class.

The books that really got me into reading were the Hardy Boys books.  My brother was reading them and told me about how they solve mysteries, kind of like Scooby-Doo (my favorite cartoon), so I started reading them.  From there I just kept reading.  My siblings have introduced me to some good books and series and I have recently shared some with them.  It's pretty cool to have a hobby that the three of us share now.

As far as this 'coming out' business... this is more or less for myself.  I'm not going to hide the fact I like to read anymore.  There's really no reason to.  Who cares if kids at school think I'm a nerd?  They probably already write me off as weird when they see my hearing aids anyway, but that's another story.  So I'm just going to say it...

I love to read and I'm proud!

Maybe it's not something huge or scary to do, but for me it's just accepting that I'm a little different than the rest of my generation.  Who knows?  Maybe some of them are secret readers too.

         - Eric 

No comments:

Post a Comment