Friday, April 14, 2017

Library Love

I've mentioned before that I've been using my library more often as a part of my goals for this year.  It's going well, I'm there most days after school for a number of reasons.  Most of the time it's just to get away and have a quiet space to read and get homework done.  But now, because I love my library and the service they offer, I've started as a volunteer.

Since I haven't been able to find a part-time job, I figured volunteering my time is just as good - maybe better.  I knew the library takes student volunteers and it was actually my sister who made me think to apply to do it.  She said that I'm there so much I might as well work there.  For the first time I can remember, I actually listened to her (okay, maybe not the first time).

In my short time as a volunteer I've realized just how much my helping matters to the librarians.  While I'm doing the mundane job of shelving books or other little tasks, they can work on better helping the patrons or working on bigger projects that they need to get done.  It's making me happy that I can help them at their jobs by giving up some of my free time that I'd probably be wasting on video games or watching a mindless television show.

And since libraries are important to so many people, I'm helping them out too, because the librarians can give them more attention while I put books back where they belong.

If you love your library, show it by helping out.

I know I love mine.


       ©2017 - Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment