Thursday, April 20, 2017

Quitting Time

Sometimes you have to know when to quit.

For the most part, the only quitting I usually do is on a book that is no longer sparking my interest.  I mean, if I start treating the book like it's a chore to read, then I should just stop.  That's how most kids get turned away from reading - because they're forced to read books for school and it becomes a chore.

But there are other times in life when we have to quit - a job, a sport, a habit.  Though I've only ever had to quit a few sports because I was doing too many at one time as a kid.  I had to choose between soccer, football, baseball, and hockey.  I like playing all four sports, but I only really enjoyed playing soccer and baseball competitively.  So I dropped football and hockey and stuck with soccer and baseball, but I did finally drop baseball when I started high school.

I know in the future I'll have times when I have to quit a job because I'll move on to something better, just like my parents have done in the past.  After all, that's the reason we moved from Washington to Vermont.  And there might even come a day when I quit blogging, though that won't be for a while.

My question for you today is: have you ever had to quit something before?


       ©2017 - Eric

7 comments:

  1. Like you said, I'm in the quitter's club when it comes to books. If I'm bored, I'm out. Other than that, I've quit jobs for various moves. I've quit relationships. But in general, I stick to tasks until I'm done.
    Doree Weller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to stick to things too. It comes down to whether it's going to be meaningful in my future or not. At least at this time in my life.

      Delete
  2. of course we all had quit something one time or another, I know I've quit a lot of projects that I simply cannot continue and then there's books that I simply cannot finish reading, I just read a post about this, not all books are for everyone so I don't feel bad if I cannot finish a book.

    have a lovely day.

    ~ my Q post - Query - ask me anything~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and why bother wasting your time on something that you don't enjoy? No one should ever feel bad about not finishing a book or project they have no interest in.

      Delete
  3. I quit work with the birth of each of my children. Hubby & I agreed it best for me to be home with them until they started school.
    Perspectives at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good reason too. I can't say I've done that since I'm only 16, lol. But I'm sure in the future if I had to quit work for my family, I would.

      Delete
  4. I have quit 2 jobs and I never really know what to say so hopefully I won't have to do that again. I quit my Ph.D. right before I was to defend because of differences with my major professor, the economy, and stuff going on in my life. As the song goes you have to know when to hold'em and when to fold'em. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete